A friend calls and tells me we are going to Miami to celebrate her birthday. First, excitement hits- I can't wait! But just moments after the initial anticipation, panic sets it-what in the hell am I going to wear? In a sudden fight or flight response, I rush into my closet scanning through the hangers yanking off anything that looks remotely decent for the occasion. After turning my room into something resembling the rubble left after a tornado and being unhappy with the assortment of unflattering, unoriginal ensembles I've tried on, I see it. Staring at me across the room, in the back of my closet is a short, spaghetti strapped, silk black dress. I laughingly grab the dress. Who was I kidding? Black dresses win every damn time.
I can boldly and confidently say you can never go wrong with a black dress. It's just a fact. Fashion today is so insistent on breaking boundaries and many people stand firmly by the idea that it takes color and pattern to stand out. I disagree. I think its exactly the opposite. So here are ten reasons you can never go wrong with a black dress for a night out.
1. You don't risk being over or under dressed
2. You can accessorize like a wild animal
3. You look classy but sexy at the same time
4. You can be daring with the heels and wear a bright, pop color or fun pattern
5. Black is the most flattering color
6. You look mysterious
7. You will stand out more than the dress
8. You can wear it again totally differently and no one will notice
9. Black looks good on all skin tones and with all hair colors
10. If you spill red wine on yourself or someone runs into you with a blue drink, you can't see the stains